OUR FARM – History of the Name
The Nerina flowers from mid February to end March (sometimes into April). The Nerina flower is a very big part of our culture and tradition. When there is a birth, death, or wedding in the family during the blooming of the Nerina’s we as a family go up the mountain to pick Nerina’s. When Ouma Pietnel got married, Oupa Johannes went up the mountain to pick Nerina’s for Ouma’s wedding bouquet. You’ll read more about Ouma…
When it was time to name the farm, they decided that it couldn’t be anything but NERINA.
Nerina is a 6th generation working Farm.
History of our Buildings
The Nerina Manor House was built in the great depression and renovated in 1943 in the middle of the 2nd World War. There was nothing luxurious in the building material. It was a house where families grew up and her doors were always open to the orphaned, the widowed and the outcasts. Ouma Pietnel (born Petronella) was the glue that kept the family together. Although everyone was struggling during their time on Nerina she always had more to give, what she could not give in shelter she would give in food or friendship.
If the walls could talk she would tell us about the death, the pain & sorrow, but she would also tell us about the births, the love & celebrations that went on within her walls. Ouma’s original home was changed into a guest house in 2004.
The Rondavel was built in 1945 and renovated in 1992 for the older boys in our family. Changed to a guest unit in 2002.
B&B Rooms – started off as a garage and workshop, renovated in 2009 into guest rooms
Summer Bush Camps – while guests were enjoying a trip on the Kolgans River Restaurant we were asked, can’t we camp here next to the river? The idea for the River Bush Camp was born and built in 2004